Friday 28 January 2011

Still life group using line and tone


This exercise involved drawing objects using  line, with only minimal tone. I chose the logs in the log basket because they had some interesting textures and shapes.  I used A3 paper and a black roller tip pen.  I drew quickly and tried to fill the page, but it proved very difficult to give the drawing any depth as it was supposed to be about line and not tone. I must admit to putting in a little shading, just to try and make the drawing look right.

My next attempt at drawing was a little more successful.  This exercise was to draw a still life group in tone.  I arranged some sea shells on a plate and drew them in pastels on A3 paper.  As I was working in pastels I didn't manage to get in all the intricate detail of the objects but, the idea was to explore tone using only three colours.  I chose a dark brown for the deepest tones, rusty orange for the mid tones and a pale cream for the lightest tones.  I wasn't sure if I was allowed to blend the colours, but couldn't really help it as I was working in pastels.

No comments:

Post a Comment