Wednesday 19 January 2011

Exercise- Getting tone and depth in detail

For this exercise I had to build up dark, medium and light tones.  The shells didn't come out too bad.  I did use black pen for some of them which didn't allow the same contrast of tone as the pencil drawings.
 The sheep horn in pencil worked quite well.  I used a putty rubber to highlight, and 3B and 6B pencils for the darker area, and this gave a greater variety of light to dark contrast.
 The starfish was an exercise in stipples and dots.  I used a black pen which was great at making quick dots and dashes, but when it came to building up tone and shadow, I found I had maybe been a bit heavy handed and got carried away with my dots. The lighter areas, which would have been on the top of the starfish, look a little dark and really I should have eased up and left some patches of white to contrast with the shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment