Friday 1 October 2010

Reflected light

I have been doing a few drawings trying to use charcoal.  My first attempt, the glass and bowl, was not very successful.  I think this was due to the fact I tried to do it in my A4 sketch book and I really needed a much larger area to get some good sweeping strokes going. 
I am much happier with my second attempt which I drew on  A2 paper.  It did seem a ridiculously large area to fill, but I think by choosing large saucepans as my subject, this somehow helped. The lid is not quite right, but I enjoyed the messiness of the charcoal.
I have now doing an exercise on still life sketches of made objects.  I have this time gone for objects which are quiet small, cotton reels and bobbins.  I'm not quite sure how to arrange the objects and whether there are any guide lines or rules on this subject.  I don't think I have got the composition right in any of the three sketches I have done.
   The pen worked better than the pencil as the drawings seemed more lively.  I think this area needs more consideration as the first assignment is a still life. Back to the books.......

No comments:

Post a Comment