Friday 10 February 2012

Exercise: Three drawings

The idea behind this exercise was to do three drawings, using different materials, and to do one sitting, one standing and one lying down pose. Also, to note the centre of gravity, and angles of limbs and look for any foreshortening.

My first sketch was a standing pose.  I did two drawings, one using white chalk on black paper.  This came out surprisingly well considering I was using a jumbo stick of chalk!
The second drawing was done using black and red coloured pencils.  I'm not sure about the proportions on either of these as the body seems to be leaning back a bit too far, and the feet are too small.























The next drawing was a seated pose. I did a warm up exercise of zig-zagging from point to point which actually turned out better than the longer drawing. Then a quick sketch in pencil, before the final drawing in oil pastels. These could be my most hated drawing material, but I thought I would give them another chance. Sadly, the drawing was a disappointment, but I think that was something to do with my proportions again, rather than the tools.

Zig-zagging exercise
Quick pencil sketch



My third drawing was a lying down pose.  This I tried in charcoal, and also a large felt tip pen with a sort of brush nib to it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment